Drones and aerial surveillance will be used to help monitor bush tracks and rivers, while most resources will be used to patrol the four main roads between the states.
A request to the Department of Defence has been made for military assistance from 11.59pm on Tuesday, to help secure the 55 points of entry between the two states, with New South Wales taking responsibility for enforcing the closures.
“I have reached out to the Health Minister this morning looking for another infringement for those who come from COVID high risk areas of Victoria into New South Wales. We are seeking health orders for powers to turn people around. So there are certainly strong powers in place but we will be seeking additional powers around on the spot fines, especially for those who mislead New South Wales in their exemption application.
“There will be a permit system and there will be further detailed arrangements will be announced by the Premier of New South Wales a bit later on today,” he said. This will mark the first time in 100 years the border has been closed and comes as Victoria announces a record high 127 new cases of coronavirus and one death.NSW Police Commissioner Mick Fuller said there are four road crossings, 33 bridges, two waterway crossings and multiple smaller roads connecting NSW and Victoria.
A sign erected in Wodonga Place in Albury, on the NSW – VIC border tells people to stay home. Picture: NCA NewsWire/Simon DallingerNSW Premier Gladys Berejiklian, who has previously said she is opposed to border closures due to their economic effect, said the closure was a “necessary step”, and not one taken lightly.
Australia Latest News, Australia Headlines
Similar News:You can also read news stories similar to this one that we have collected from other news sources.
'Strong chance' Berejiklian will shut NSW-Vic border | Sky News AustraliaIf Victoria’s COVID-19 infections continue to increase, there is a 'strong chance' that New South Wales Premier Gladys Berejiklian will look to shut the border between the states, according to Sky News Political Editor Andrew Clennell.\n\n“Her ministers in cabinet tomorrow I’m told may well push for this, it all depends on the numbers,” Mr Clennell said.\n\n“Gladys Berejiklian probably doesn’t want to look like a hypocrite given she had a go at Annastacia Palaszczuk for keeping her borders shut.\n\n“But that was an entirely different scenario to 100 new cases a day in a state.” \n
Read more »
LOCKED OUT: Border shuts between NSW and Vic as coronavirus death toll rises | Sky News AustraliaVictorians will be banned from entering New South Wales from 11.59pm Tuesday night as Australia's leaders desperately try to contain the latest outbreak which continues to surge.\n\nPremier Daniel Andrews said the decision to close borders between Australia’s largest states came after a phone call between himself, the Prime Minister and NSW Premier Gladys Berejiklian.\n\n“Just an hour or so ago, where we have - all of us - agreed that the best thing to do is to close the border,” he said.\n\n“That closure will be enforced on the New South Wales side, so as not to be a drain on resources that are very much focused on fighting the virus right now across our State.\n\n“I am grateful to the Premier of New South Wales for her support in giving effect to that.”\n\nOvernight Victoria recorded an extra 127 cases of coronavirus and a man in his 90s died in hospital after testing positive to COVID-19.\n
Read more »
Victoria records 127 new coronavirus cases and one death as NSW border set to closeBreaking Victoria has recorded 127 new coronavirus cases overnight as Daniel Andrews confirms the NSW-Victoria border will close tomorrow.
Read more »
Ruby Princess crew cases added to national tally as NSW records six new casesAlmost 200 COVID-19 cases have been added to the national total after historic cases reported in crew members from the Ruby Princess were reclassified as Australian | rachelclun
Read more »
Coronavirus Australia live updates: NSW earns 189 new coronavirus casesThis is not the Melbourne we’re used to. The CBD has turned into a ghost town due to a spike in coronavirus cases with several suburbs in lockdown. 📷: Ian Currie More:
Read more »
Live: NSW Now: Former government staffer charged, and counting continues in tight Eden-Monaro raceMORNING BRIEFING: A man who allegedly tried to defraud his former NSW Government employer is charged with using fake university invoices to claim thousands of dollars, and counting continues in the NSW electorate of Eden-Monaro.
Read more »