EXCLUSIVE: NSW Deputy Premier JohnBarilaroMP has told Sky News he is “not going to blow up the government” nor is he going to walk away from his ministerial responsibilities.
EXCLUSIVE: NSW Deputy Premier John Barilaro has told Sky News he is “not going to blow up the government” nor is he going to walk away from his ministerial responsibilities. “I never thought I’d be part of a government that punishes people for standing up what is right for their communities,” Mr Barilaro told Sky News host Alan Jones.
Premier Berejiklian released a statement on Thursday declaring it is “not possible to be deputy premier or a minister of the crown, and sit on the crossbench”. Mr Barilaro said although the meeting with the premier was abrupt and ended with a “threat” he still has the “full support of the party room”. “It’s very easy for me to give up the ministerial card. If this is about a title I’ll give it up tomorrow,” he said. “They think that I’m the problem.
Australia Latest News, Australia Headlines
Similar News:You can also read news stories similar to this one that we have collected from other news sources.
Berejiklian to meet with Barilaro amid Coalition tension | Sky News AustraliaSky News can reveal New South Wales Premier Gladys Berejiklian will meet with John Barilaro on Thursday afternoon, after he announced the Nationals will not support government legislation following a koala protection policy fight.\n\nTensions have been building over an update to the planning laws which include protections for koala habitats.\n\nThe Nationals are arguing the changes will limit building on farms and the ability to rezone areas for development.\n\n“This is the latest in a long series of private threats from Barilaro to Berejiklian and liberal ministers on several issues over the past couple of years,” Sky News Political Editor Andrew Clennell said.\n\n“Barilaro is known to regularly send threatening text messages, threatening to pull out of the Coalition if the government does not go his way on policy.\n\n“On this issue it appears Berejiklian has had enough.”\n
Read more »
Business owners 'are not being heard at all' by the Victorian government | Sky News AustraliaVictorian small business owner Gry Tomte says she doesn’t feel business owners are “being heard at all” by the state government. \n\nMr Andrews on Sunday announced tentative dates for the easing of restrictions, should new case numbers remain low. \n\nMelbourne metropolitan area will continue with its stage four lockdowns until at least September 28. \n\nMs Tomte, owner of HÜD Skin + Body beauty clinic in Melbourne had been forced to close her shop for the last five months already, which would likely pan out to a total of nine months considering the recent lockdown extensions.\n\n“I just feel like the mental health of business owners is definitely not being explored,” Ms Tomte told Sky News host Chris Kenny. \n\nMs Tomte said there was no way her business could be “classified as an unsafe business”.\n\n“I look at the enormous amount of training that we go through as the aesthetic industry and we re heavily regulated already, with the additional training that we’ve received throughout this whole period, there’s absolutely no reason why we wouldn’t be a safe place to open,” she said.\n\nShe said with the extensions looming, her clinic would likely be closed for a total of nine months, adding she knew many other beauty clinic owners were having to close permanently. \n\nImage: Pexels
Read more »
'We're not seeing a PM' in Morrison: Marles | Sky News AustraliaDeputy Labor leader Richard Marles says Scott Morrison is pointing the finger at Daniel Andrews and is trying to have the whole world blame him for everything that is going wrong in relation to the coronavirus.\n\n“That is one of the most low rent acts that I have seen a prime minister engage in,” Mr Marles told Sky News.\n\n“We don’t have a prime minister here who is rolling up his sleeves and standing shoulder to shoulder with the Victorian government.\n\n“This is not a man who is getting into the mix here and actually making a difference, this is a guy who has relegated himself to the sidelines and is doing nothing other than being the cheerleader for those who want to pile on in relation to Daniel Andrews.\n\n“Let’s be clear, the most lethal part of anything that has occurred in Victoria is happening in relation to aged care, wholly and solely the responsibility of the federal government.\n\n“And where’s Scott Morrison in relation to that?\n\n“We’re not seeing a prime minister here.” \n
Read more »
Labor members not standing up to Palaszczuk ‘make me sick’: Hanson | Sky News AustraliaOne Nation leader Pauline Hanson says the Labor members who aren’t standing up to Annastacia Palaszczuk’s “disgusting” behavior are all in the same boat and “make me sick”.\n\nHer comments come after Queensland Premier Annastacia Palaszczuk deflected attacks from the Opposition Leader over her refusal to allow 26 year old Sarah Caisip attend her father's funeral saying the decision was made by Queensland Chief Health Officer Jeannette Young.\n\nQueensland resident Sarah Caisip flew home from Canberra, and was too late - missing her father’s death - and was placed in hotel quarantine, which then precluded her from attending her father’s funeral.\n\nMs Palaszczuk also declared in Queensland parliament that she “will not be bullied nor … intimidated by the prime minister” who phoned her to plea for the woman to get an exemption.\n\nMs Hanson said if this is the premier’s behavior before an election “imagine what she’s going to be like after the next election if she wins it”.\n\n“To those Labor Party members who are sitting, you are no different to Annastacia Palaszczuk because I have not heard one of you stand up against her and the way she’s carrying on,” Ms Hanson told Sky News host Paul Murray.\n\n“Not one of you stood in parliament to say it’s wrong. As far as I’m concerned you’re all in the same boat and you make me sick”.\n\nImage: Getty
Read more »
Andrews' roadmap is not about 'praise or popularity' | Sky News AustraliaPremier Daniel Andrews has touted his roadmap out of lockdown as the only possible route for Victoria to safely reopen beyond a couple of weeks. \n\n“We have got to be smaller before we can safely open up and stay open,” he said. \n\n“That is the key here - being open for just a few weeks and then being closed again, that is not a strategy.\n\n'Whether I'm criticised or I am praised, this is about doing it right, not doing what is political or popular.” \n\nImage: News Corp Australia
Read more »
Andrews 'not interested' in politics of COVID-19 | Sky News AustraliaDaniel Andrews says he will speak to the prime minister about the future of JobKeeper and JobSeeker for Victorians and says politics “is of no use” in the fight against COVID-19.\n\n“I will be having some conversations with the Prime Minister later on this week and it is best that I have those conversations with him rather than broadcasting my message,” Mr Andrews said.\n\n“I don’t think that necessarily achieves anything. I am not interested in, at all, at all in the politics of this. I am just not. It doesn’t work. It doesn’t work. Politics is of no use in the fight against this virus.\n\n“That has always been my view and that won’t be changing.”\n
Read more »