Biden was speaking as a second Senate Republican voiced objections to Trump's plan to vote quickly on a replacement to liberal Justice Ruth Bader Ginsburg.
Senator Lamar Alexander, another moderate Republican, issued a statement saying he did not object to a vote, CNN reported.Philadelphia:
Democratic presidential candidate and former vice-president Joe Biden speaks at the Constitution Centre in Philadelphia."Voters of this country should be heard ... they're the ones who this Constitution envisions should decide who has the power to make this appointment," Biden said in Philadelphia. "To jam this nomination through the Senate is just an exercise of raw political power.
Earlier on Sunday, Senator Lisa Murkowski of Alaska said she did not support Trump's plan to move fast on filling the seat, becoming the second of the 53 Republicans in the 100-seat chamber to object publicly following Ginsburg's death. "I did not support taking up a nomination eight months before the 2016 election to fill the vacancy created by the passing of Justice Scalia," Murkowski said in a statement. "We are now even closer to the 2020 election – less than two months out – and I believe the same standard must apply."Senator Susan Collins of Maine voiced similar concerns on Saturday. Collins is locked in a tight re-election battle, while Murkowski's current term extends two more years.
Australia Latest News, Australia Headlines
Similar News:You can also read news stories similar to this one that we have collected from other news sources.
Joe Biden condemns Donald Trump's plan to fill Supreme Court seat ahead of electionJoe Biden has urged Senate Republicans not to vote on any candidate nominated to the Supreme Court as the November election approaches
Read more »
Trump vows to nominate 'brilliant woman' for Supreme Court this weekWashington: US President Donald Trump says he will pick a woman to fill the Supreme Court seat left vacant by the death of Ruth Bader Ginsburg and expects to reveal his nominee this week
Read more »
Trump confirms he will nominate a woman to Supreme Court | Sky News AustraliaWATCH FULL RALLY: President Donald Trump has confirmed he will pick a woman to fill the vacancy on the Supreme Court during a raucous rally in the key swing state of North Carolina.\n\n“It will be a woman, a very talented, very brilliant woman,'President Trump said.\n \n'We haven’t chosen yet, but we have numerous women on the list.”\n\nJustice Ginsburg died aged 87 due to complications from pancreatic cancer, almost three decades since she was appointed to the Supreme Court by the then-president Bill Clinton in 1993.\n\nShe became a liberal icon after providing key votes in landmark rulings securing equal rights for women, expanding gay rights and safeguarding abortion rights, and she received tributes and recognition from across the political spectrum at home and abroad following her death.\n\nThat legacy is now in doubt if President Trump nominates her successor, with the makeup of the Supreme Court skewing to a 6-3 conservative majority.\n\nCircuit Court Judge Amy Coney Barrett is considered the frontrunner to fill the vacant seat.\n\nShe is an avowed social conservative and fervently anti-abortion, putting the future of Roe v Wade in doubt.\n\nDuring the rally, President Trump also castigated Democratic vice presidential nominee Kamala Harris over her role in the contentious role in the nomination of Justice Kavanaugh to the Supreme Court.\n\nSenator Harris made headline for her tough questions to Justice Kavanaugh over his record on abortion and voting rights.\n \n“Nobody was ever ruder,” President Trump said. “Nobody ever suffered like Justice Kavanaugh suffered in the hands and the mouths of those horrible people.”
Read more »
Donald Trump 'should and will fill the Supreme Court seat before the election' | Sky News AustraliaAdvance Australia Director Liz Storer says US President Donald Trump should fill the seat left vacant by the passing of Ruth Bader Ginsburg before the upcoming presidential election, which she believes he will certainly do. \n\nAssociate Justice of the United States Supreme Court Ruth Bader Ginsburg died over the weekend aged 87 after a long battle with pancreatic cancer.\n\n President Donald Trump praised the progressive icon upon hearing the news of her death after a campaign rally. \n\nThe vacant seat is set to become a massive political battle, as the President has already indicated he intends to nominate a replacement merely six weeks before the election.\n\nIf President Trump successfully replaced Justice Ginsburg, it would entrench a 6-3 conservative majority.\n\n“I say fill the seat, and I have no doubt that’s exactly what he’s going to do,' Ms Storer told Sky News host Paul Murray\n\n“If for no other reason than, as we know, this election is going to be highly contested no matter who wins, no matter who loses, and we cannot have a supreme court split four-four and go for weeks, maybe months not knowing who’s the leader of the free world. '\n
Read more »
Trump vows to nominate 'brilliant woman' for Supreme Court this weekUS President Donald Trump says he will pick a woman to fill the Supreme Court seat left vacant by the death of Ruth Bader Ginsburg and expects to reveal his nominee within days | KnottMatthew
Read more »
A Supreme Court Justice's death is one reason Trump won in 2016. Here's what RBG's death means in 2020With the Supreme Court balance thrown open, every political move from here to the election could prove decisive. One thing, however, is certain. The forces pulling an angry and exhausted nation apart have suddenly got much stronger, writes David Lipson.
Read more »