The move comes after sustained pressure from the United States, Britain's most important intelligence partner, which has been pushing the UK to reverse Prime Minister Boris Johnson's January decision to grant Huawei a limited role in its 5G rollout.
Digital and Culture Secretary Oliver Dowden told the House of Commons on Tuesday that telecoms companies would not be able to purchase Huawei components after December 31 and would need to remove existing Huawei gear by 2027.
Pressure had also come from Mr Johnson's own backbench, who earlier in the year tried to pass an amendment to ban Huawei from the UK's telecommunications infrastructure. Removing Huawei equipment from its networks could cost BT up to an estimated 500 million pounds and take up to a decade to complete, according to the company's chief executive.
Australia Latest News, Australia Headlines
Similar News:You can also read news stories similar to this one that we have collected from other news sources.
US urges Huawei ban on eve of UK security meetingPrime Minister Boris Johnson has endured friendly fire from allied countries and fellow Tory MPs ahead of an expected reversal on allowing the Chinese company to roll out Britain's 5G networks.
Read more »
Huawei is the ‘most unfairly maligned’ company in Australian history: Xenophon | Sky News AustraliaFormer Independent Senator Nick Xenophon says there is a double standard over the treatment of Huawei given Telstra’s equipment is provided by a Chinese state-owned electronics company.\n\nAustralia excluded Huawei from the rolling out of its 5G infrastructure, which has only recently been replicated in the UK after it initially moved to include the Chinese telco.\n\nTelstra is the only 5G provider in Australia at the moment, and is getting its equipment – which is made in China - from a joint venutr arrangement with Erikson and Panda Electronics.\n\nAccording to the US Department of Defence, Panda Electronics is run by the People’s Liberation Army.\n\nMr Xenophon said the process leading to the decision to ban Huawei from Australia’s 5G rollout was unfair and lacked due process, which are all rights “you should afford a company operating in Australia”.\n\n“Huawei has been one of the most unfairly maligned companies in Australian history,” he told Sky News.\n\nMr Xenophon is now a partner at Xenaphon Davis, a law firm which also represents Huawei.\n\n
Read more »
US urges Huawei ban on eve of UK security meetingPrime Minister Boris Johnson has endured friendly fire from allied countries and fellow Tory MPs ahead of an expected reversal on allowing the Chinese company to roll out Britain's 5G networks.
Read more »
Huawei is the ‘most unfairly maligned’ company in Australian history: Xenophon | Sky News AustraliaFormer Independent Senator Nick Xenophon says there is a double standard over the treatment of Huawei given Telstra’s equipment is provided by a Chinese state-owned electronics company.\n\nAustralia excluded Huawei from the rolling out of its 5G infrastructure, which has only recently been replicated in the UK after it initially moved to include the Chinese telco.\n\nTelstra is the only 5G provider in Australia at the moment, and is getting its equipment – which is made in China - from a joint venutr arrangement with Erikson and Panda Electronics.\n\nAccording to the US Department of Defence, Panda Electronics is run by the People’s Liberation Army.\n\nMr Xenophon said the process leading to the decision to ban Huawei from Australia’s 5G rollout was unfair and lacked due process, which are all rights “you should afford a company operating in Australia”.\n\n“Huawei has been one of the most unfairly maligned companies in Australian history,” he told Sky News.\n\nMr Xenophon is now a partner at Xenaphon Davis, a law firm which also represents Huawei.\n\n
Read more »
Chinese tech companies generate data which can be ‘commandeered’ by communist govt | Sky News AustraliaFears the Chinese Communist Party will commandeer the masses of data generated by China-owned tech firms for national security reasons is the root cause behind concerns from western governments according to Sky News contributor Cory Bernardi.\n\nIndia has recently banned a number of Chinese technology apps including Tik Tok and WeChat over cyber security concerns.\n\nMr Bernardi said the banning of Chinese tech companies could be the next step in the “technology battlefield” after many countries have already banned Chinese telco Huawei from their communications infrastructure.\n\nAustralia excluded Huawei from the rolling out of its 5G infrastructure, which has only recently been replicated in the UK after it initially moved to include the Chinese telco.\n\n'The concerns of Huawei and these other firms is that the technology they provide generates masses of data that can then be commandeered by the Chinese government for 'national security reasons',' Mr Bernardi said.\n\nChinese law requires Chinese companies to 'support, co-operate and collaborate in national intelligence work.'\n\nImage: AP
Read more »
Britain to make face masks mandatory in shopsAfter mixed messages from Downing Street, police in England will now be able to fine people £100 ($191) for flouting the new rules.
Read more »