Council says ‘no choice’ but to keep approving pokies in city, urges change

Australia News News

Council says ‘no choice’ but to keep approving pokies in city, urges change
Australia Latest News,Australia Headlines
  • 📰 theage
  • ⏱ Reading Time:
  • 33 sec. here
  • 2 min. at publisher
  • 📊 Quality Score:
  • News: 16%
  • Publisher: 77%

A proposed planning amendment aimed at reducing pokies in Melbourne’s city centre has been sitting on the former planning minister’s desk for three years, stalling the long-sought reforms.

The City of Melbourne has approved a new development with 50 poker machines at the corner of Lonsdale street and Hardware Lane.

At the Future Melbourne Committee meeting last week, the council called for Victorian Planning Minister Lizzie Blandthorn to urgently approve amendment C366, which was submitted to former planning minister Richard Wynne on August 30, 2019. Planning Minister Lizzie Blandthorn has a list of outstanding planning applications sitting on her desk.“The City of Melbourne think there should be more done to regulate whether and how gaming venues can operate across our municipality. That’s why we introduced a planning scheme amendment, C366, [to the] gaming policy way back in 2019 to better regulate where gaming venues can operate in our city.

We have summarized this news so that you can read it quickly. If you are interested in the news, you can read the full text here. Read more:

theage /  🏆 8. in AU

Australia Latest News, Australia Headlines

Similar News:You can also read news stories similar to this one that we have collected from other news sources.

Victorians have gambled – and lost – $66 billion on pokies in 30 yearsVictorians have gambled – and lost – $66 billion on pokies in 30 yearsIan Correia says he has contributed at least $1 million to the $66 billion Victorians have blown on the pokies in the 30 years since they arrived in the state.
Read more »

Victorians have gambled – and lost – $66 billion on pokies in 30 yearsVictorians have gambled – and lost – $66 billion on pokies in 30 yearsVictorians have lost $66 billion in the 30 years since electronic slot machines were introduced in the state. Ian Correia says he has contributed at least $1 million to that amount. | chloebooker Photo: Penny Stephens pokies victoria
Read more »

‘Not good enough’: Uvalde victims’ families react to report on police failures‘Not good enough’: Uvalde victims’ families react to report on police failuresFamily members of Texas school shooting victims say state legislature’s 77-page report ‘doesn’t change anything’
Read more »

Hungary protests continue for fifth day amid growing anger at Orbán tax changesHungary protests continue for fifth day amid growing anger at Orbán tax changesDemonstrators have taken to the streets of Budapest since parliament approved law change in first protests since PM won fourth term
Read more »

Cancer Council urge Australians to Get2it and do bowel screening testAustralia's bathroom habits are in the spotlight today as Cancer Council and the Australian Government encourage all Australians aged 50-74 to Get2it and participate in the National Bowel Cancer Screening Program (NBCSP) when they receive their free test kit in the mail.
Read more »

I was the invisible teenage girl. Until an encounter saved meI was the invisible teenage girl. Until an encounter saved meNo kid sits alone by choice, says Kath Lockett as she recalls the loneliness – and pain – of adolescence. sundaylife
Read more »



Render Time: 2025-04-06 19:08:20