Novak Djokovic accuses critics of a 'witch-hunt' - and isn't sure if he will go to US Open
: Novak Djokovic has accused critics of subjecting him to a "witch-hunt" after his regional Adria Tour tennis event ended in a novel coronavirus fiasco and said he was still uncertain whether he would play at the US Open, which starts on August 31.
World No.1 Djokovic, fellow Serb Viktor Troicki, Bulgarian Grigor Dimitrov and Croatian Borna Coric all tested positive for the virus and the event had to be called off. Among the critics has been Australian world No.40 Nick Kyrgios, who has repeatedly slammed the players on Twitter."I still haven't decided whether I will play in the US Open, the upsurge in registered COVID-19 cases in the United Staes and New York in particular are not playing into the event's hands."
"My intention was pure, I was whole-heartedly committed to organising a humanitarian event to help players and tennis federations in the region," he said.
Australia Latest News, Australia Headlines
Similar News:You can also read news stories similar to this one that we have collected from other news sources.
US to leave World Health Organisation next JulyUS President Donald Trump quits another UN organisation but the decision could be reversed and is not due to take effect until the US pays its outstanding bill to the WHO.
Read more »
Trump officially withdraws US from WHO | Sky News AustraliaPresident Donald Trump has formally withdrawn the United States from the World Health Organisation.\n\nThe President announced his intention more than a month ago after criticising the organisation's response to the coronavirus pandemic.\n\nFunding was frozen in April while the Administration reviewed the relationship.\n\nA Senior Administration official confirmed Congress received notification of the withdrawal.\n\nThe US remains the worst-affected nation with almost three million cases of coronavirus. \n\nThe process of withdrawal is set to take a year.\n\nImage: AP
Read more »
WHO: Donald Trump starts official US withdrawal from UN health bodyPresident Donald Trump has formally started the withdrawal of the United States from the World Health Organization, making good on threats over the UN body’s response to the coronavirus, officials said Tuesday.
Read more »
Anthony Fauci warns US 'knee-deep' in first coronavirus wave as new infections soarUS health official Anthony Fauci says that the current state of the COVID-19 outbreak in the United States “is really not good” and a “serious situation that we have to address immediately.”
Read more »
Soleimani killing by US drone 'unlawful', deems UN officialA UN investigator says the US has failed to provide sufficient evidence of an imminent attack against its interests to justify killing Iranian general Qassem Soleimani.
Read more »
'The price of attacking us is far, far too high': Molan | Sky News AustraliaLiberal Senator Jim Molan says it is absolutely necessary that Australia develops a “very clear” defence strategy in order to demonstrate it is capable of deflecting foreign security threats. \n\nMr Molan praised the Prime Minister for last week unveiling a $270 billion boost to the nation’s defence strategy in the shadow of potential cyber and security threats. \n\n“Now he didn’t say we’re about to go to war in five or 10 years but he did say that the rule of law is breaking down and that certain nations are taking an aggressive stance, an assertive stance and that we should very, very much be prepared for this,' he said. \n\n“[China] has been very assertive in their treatment of us, but not only us, also just about every other nation in the world. \n\nMr Molan said Australia was set to engage with the United States in a series of RIMPAC exercises in the South China Sea to demonstrate their defence strategies. \n\n“That’s where I talk about winning – in order to deter conflict you don’t just have something, you must illustrate to an aggressor that the price of attacking us is far, far too high,” he said. \n\nImage: News Corp Australia \n \n\n
Read more »