Upper house MP says he will not contest March state election after discussions with family and friends
On Monday, Secord stood aside from the opposition shadow ministry as Labor’s spokesperson for police, counter-terrorism, the arts and the north coast.
Allegations of bullying were levelled at him last Friday, after the publication of a long-awaited report into workplace behaviour in the NSW parliament. The opposition leader, Chris Minns, who once worked with Secord as a staff member to another MP and alongside him as a shadow minister, said he never witnessed problematic behaviour.
“But you know, I respect other people would have different relationships with him and have different contexts and histories,” Minns said on Monday. The Guardian reported last week that members of former party leader Jodi McKay’s office had made submissions to theSecord issued a statement saying that he did “not have the same recollections from the staff in the former leader’s office – especially in relation to raised voices in the workplace”.“If any parliamentary staff members feel my conduct in the workplace was unprofessional and caused offence or distress and was unacceptable, I unreservedly apologise,” he said last week.
Australia Latest News, Australia Headlines
Similar News:You can also read news stories similar to this one that we have collected from other news sources.
Emails between property developer and premier made publicEmails between allegedly corrupt property developer John Woodman and the premier have been made public despite Daniel Andrews previously claiming he did not believe any such documents existed | heyracheddie springst
Read more »
NSW Labor MP Walt Secord to retire from politics in wake of bullying allegationsFormer Labor frontbencher Walt Secord announces he won't seek another term in parliament after bullying allegations were levelled against him last week from former and current colleagues.
Read more »
Anglican priest suspended amid 'disturbing' allegations of assault, bullying and intimidationA Newcastle priest will need to prove he has been rehabilitated after being suspended by the Anglican Church for not reporting a serious sexual assault by another priest, bullying, assault and intimidation.
Read more »
NRL grand final to stay in SydneyAfter weeks of wrangling with the NSW government, the NRL has announced the grand final will be at Accor Stadium this year.
Read more »
Extra trains for NSW ‘on hold’ amid warning of investment slumpThe government has quietly put on hold long-term plans to buy extra passenger trains for the state’s railways, internal documents reveal.
Read more »