Five people are dead, several are injured and others are missing after the volcano New Zealand's Whakaari, or White Island, volcano erupted - here's what we know so far
It's a tourist destination and police believe 50 people were on or near the island when the eruption took place.Where is the volcano?
It's in the Bay of Plenty, east of Auckland, on the North Island. The volcano is about 50km from the shore.Police have reported of the 23 people ferried back to shore, five people have died, and others have serious injuries and burns. But what we don't know is the state of people trapped on the island; there could be as many as 27 people and we don't know how they are.Yes. Prime Minister Scott Morrison says Australians are"caught up" in the tragedy - but we don't know if they're among the five dead, those injured, or on the island.
A cruise ship, the Ovation of the Seas, which originated in Sydney and was docked in nearby Tauranga, had a day boat of passengers visiting the island.When will we know more? Police and emergency services are currently taking expert advice on when it may be safe to reach the island.The Department of Foreign Affairs and Trade has a hotline for consular support.
Australia Latest News, Australia Headlines
Similar News:You can also read news stories similar to this one that we have collected from other news sources.
At least five dead in NZ volcano eruption | Sky News AustraliaNZ Police Deputy Commissioner John Tims has confirmed at least five people have died after the nation's most active volcano, Whakaari, erupted on Monday. \n\nMore than 20 people are unaccounted for, with authorities unable to access the island due to the possibility of further eruptions.\n\nMr Tims confirmed New Zealanders and foreign nationals have been caught up in the disaster.\n\nHe confirmed the Ovation of the Seas cruise ship, which left Sydney on December 4th, was at the island at the time of the eruption.\n\nAustralians who are concerned about loved ones can contact DFAT on 1300555135\n\nImage: Twitter, Michael Schade\u002Fsch
Read more »
One dead, Australians among missing after NZ volcano eruptsBREAKING: Authorities confirm one fatality following the eruption of New Zealand's White Island volcano, and say there's likely to be more. 9News
Read more »
One dead, Australians among missing after NZ volcano eruptsA person has died and Australian tourists are among those unaccounted for after a New Zealand volcano erupted, 9News understands.
Read more »
'No signs of life': Fears for Australians after volcanic eruption on NZ islandPrime Minister Scott Morrison confirmed 24 Australians were visiting the island as part of a cruise ship tour when the volcano erupted, and said 'we must prepare for some difficult days ahead'.
Read more »
One dead, more fatalities expected after NZ volcano erupts | Sky News AustraliaPolice Deputy Commissioner John Tims has confirmed that one person has died after NZ’s most active volcano, Whakaari, erupted on Monday.\n\nAuthorities have confirmed 23 people have been taken from the island, with one in a critical condition.\n\nThere were fewer than 50 people on the island at the time of the eruption, with the whereabouts of some currently unknown.\n\nMr Tims told reporters on Monday they expect the death toll to rise in the coming hours.\n\nDr Ken Glairdhill from GNS Science said authorities “can’t be certain” there will not be another eruption within the next 24 hours.\n\nImage: Getty (file image)\n\n
Read more »
Five dead, tourists unaccounted for after White Island volcano erupts in NZ's Bay of PlentyUp to 50 people may have been on Whakaari or White Island in Bay of Plenty, New Zealand, when the island volcano erupted on Monday.
Read more »