“Our whole tour group were literally standing at the edge of the main crater not 30 minutes before'. 9News
"Those are some of the people boat picked up. Praying for them and their recovery. Woman my mom tended to was in critical condition but seemed strong by the end," Schade tweeted.Schade describes himself in his Twitter handle as someone who likes "helping people, photography, reading, gym, travelling, and learning new things". He says he lives in San Francisco.
"My thoughts with the families of those currently unaccounted for, the people recovering now, and especially the rescue workers." Lisa Lou wrote on Facebook that she was "stranded" on the cruise liner while it was docked off White Island.Queensland mother, Lisa Lou, was on board the cruise ship at the time of the eruption and claimed passengers were not warned of "how really dangerous" it was to visit the volcano.
"I'm angry that the tour still went ahead even though the risk level was at the highest it could get and I'm angry that there are fellow Royal Caribbean cruisers who's family won't be coming back on board.
Australia Latest News, Australia Headlines
Similar News:You can also read news stories similar to this one that we have collected from other news sources.
Whakaari volcano eruption: No signs of more survivors, NZ police sayAustralians are among dozens of people caught up in New Zealand's volcanic eruption, which has killed least five people
Read more »
NZ volcano eruption: What we know so farFive people are dead, several are injured and others are missing after the volcano New Zealand's Whakaari, or White Island, volcano erupted - here's what we know so far
Read more »
'No signs of life': Fears for Australians after volcanic eruption on NZ islandPrime Minister Scott Morrison confirmed 24 Australians were visiting the island as part of a cruise ship tour when the volcano erupted, and said 'we must prepare for some difficult days ahead'.
Read more »
'No signs of life': Fears for Australians after volcanic eruption on NZ islandPrime Minister Scott Morrison confirmed 24 Australians were visiting the island as part of a cruise ship tour when the volcano erupted, and said 'we must prepare for some difficult days ahead'.
Read more »
At least five dead in NZ volcano eruption | Sky News AustraliaNZ Police Deputy Commissioner John Tims has confirmed at least five people have died after the nation's most active volcano, Whakaari, erupted on Monday. \n\nMore than 20 people are unaccounted for, with authorities unable to access the island due to the possibility of further eruptions.\n\nMr Tims confirmed New Zealanders and foreign nationals have been caught up in the disaster.\n\nHe confirmed the Ovation of the Seas cruise ship, which left Sydney on December 4th, was at the island at the time of the eruption.\n\nAustralians who are concerned about loved ones can contact DFAT on 1300555135\n\nImage: Twitter, Michael Schade\u002Fsch
Read more »
One dead, more fatalities expected after NZ volcano erupts | Sky News AustraliaPolice Deputy Commissioner John Tims has confirmed that one person has died after NZ’s most active volcano, Whakaari, erupted on Monday.\n\nAuthorities have confirmed 23 people have been taken from the island, with one in a critical condition.\n\nThere were fewer than 50 people on the island at the time of the eruption, with the whereabouts of some currently unknown.\n\nMr Tims told reporters on Monday they expect the death toll to rise in the coming hours.\n\nDr Ken Glairdhill from GNS Science said authorities “can’t be certain” there will not be another eruption within the next 24 hours.\n\nImage: Getty (file image)\n\n
Read more »