Oscars’ drastic rule change for Best Picture: minimum diversity standards set for on and off-screen roles

Australia News News

Oscars’ drastic rule change for Best Picture: minimum diversity standards set for on and off-screen roles
Australia Latest News,Australia Headlines
  • 📰 SBSNews
  • ⏱ Reading Time:
  • 20 sec. here
  • 2 min. at publisher
  • 📊 Quality Score:
  • News: 11%
  • Publisher: 89%

The US Academy of Motion Pictures has announced sweeping changes, including new diversity criteria for films to be eligible for the coveted Best Picture award.

The Academy has made diversity a focus. In July, they introduced 819 new members: 45 per cent of these were women, 36 per cent were people of colour and 49 per cent were from countries outside of the United States., The Academy has been looking to add to their A2020 targets they set back in 2016 that saw them achieve a two-fold overshoot in their goal to increase diversity within the organisation.

Under the new rules, films vying for best picture will need to comply with at least two of four criteria designed to improve hiring practices and representation on and off screen. The second stipulates that behind-the-scenes senior leadership or technical crew members must be drawn from historically disadvantaged groups, which also include women, LGBT and disabled communities.

We have summarized this news so that you can read it quickly. If you are interested in the news, you can read the full text here. Read more:

SBSNews /  🏆 3. in AU

Australia Latest News, Australia Headlines

Similar News:You can also read news stories similar to this one that we have collected from other news sources.

‘Best one’: Tributes pour for Nick Slater after shark attack‘Best one’: Tributes pour for Nick Slater after shark attackTributes are pouring in for Gold Coast real estate agent Nick Slater, who friends say died “doing what he loved” when he was mauled by a shark while surfing.
Read more »

Best mates turn spare change into instant $250,000 winBest mates turn spare change into instant $250,000 winA pair of Melbourne mates turned some spare change into $250,000 after scratching one of the top prizes on a $10 Instant Scratch-Its ticket.
Read more »

Hemsworth’s cheeky nude bath picHemsworth’s cheeky nude bath picShe may be two days late – but Elsa Pataky’s Father’s Day tribute to her Thor hunk husband Chris Hemsworth has not disappointed.
Read more »

Best mates turn spare change into instant $250,000 winBest mates turn spare change into instant $250,000 winA pair of Melbourne mates turned some spare change into $250,000 after scratching one of the top prizes on a $10 Instant Scratch-Its ticket.
Read more »

Andrews' curfew designed to make policing 'much easier' | Sky News AustraliaAndrews' curfew designed to make policing 'much easier' | Sky News AustraliaPremier Daniel Andrews has admitted the curfew in Melbourne was designed to help Victorian police enforce lockdown rules.\n\nCriticism of the curfew in Melbourne arose after an exchange between Victoria’s Chief Health Officer Brett Sutton and Neil Mitchell on radio station 3AW where the Professor revealed the curfew in the state wasn’t based on his advice.\n\n“I was consulted on it, but it was a separate decision-making pathway,” Professor Sutton said.\n\nResponding to questions at Wednesday’s press conference, the Victorian Premier said Police asked for the “clearest simplest set of rules” and the curfew had been introduced in response.\n\n“A curfew that says ‘unless you’ve got a lawful reason to be outside after 8:00pm soon 9:00pm out to 5:00am then you can’t be’ is much easier for Victoria police”\n\nImage: News Corp Australia
Read more »

Rules for Melbourne's single bubble 'a slap in the face'When Melbourne single woman Gen Ford heard the news that people living alone would be allowed to visit one friend or family member during lockdown, she was ecstatic. That soon changed.
Read more »



Render Time: 2025-04-06 22:44:33