Police call off the search for Tony Higgins in waters south of Adelaide after earlier finding the missing sailor's wallet washed up near the Murray Mouth.
SA Police said in a statement this evening that the search has been been called off pending any "further sightings or information".
The latest search covered about 500 square kilometres of ocean off Victor Harbor, Goolwa and the Coorong.Sea Rescue volunteers, police patrols, water operations officers, the police helicopter and fixed-wing aircraft were all involved in the search.Items police believe are from Tony Higgins's missing boat the Margrel, found on a beach near the Murray Mouth and taken to the Goolwa police station.
Earlier today, SA Police Inspector Gus Sickerdick conceded the length of time Mr Higgins had been missing reduced the chances of him being found alive."We've got to bear in mind the nature of the surf and if he is in the ocean how it is affecting him, if he has got anything to protect himself."They urged anyone who finds any more debris along the coastline to call the Police Assistance Line on 131 444.
Australia Latest News, Australia Headlines
Similar News:You can also read news stories similar to this one that we have collected from other news sources.
Police minister casts doubt over consideration of police forces in hotel quarantine | Sky News AustraliaVictorian Police Minister Lisa Neville has suggested there was never any real consideration given to using police forces to guard Melbourne’s hotel quarantine program. \n\n“If there had been any serious consideration of Victoria police playing a significant role in hotel quarantine program, it is my view I would have been consulted,” Ms Neville told the inquiry into the botched quarantine program. \n\nThe minister said she first became aware of the decision to use private security guards, rather than police officers of ADF personnel, during a phone meeting with Emergency Commissioner Andrew Crisp and then Police Commissioner Graham Ashton. \n\nShe said Mr Crisp entered the meeting with knowledge private security would be used, however, could not tell whether it was he who had made the decision. \n\nWhen asked by council assisting about her expectations for consulting on the matter, Ms Neville said it was her expectation that Mr Ashton should have been consulted in the decision making process. \n\nVictorian Jobs Minister Martin Pakula provided evidence on Wednesday morning, saying the decision to use private security was ultimately the responsibility of the Department of Health and Human Services. \n\n\n\n\n\n\n\n\n
Read more »
Scammers pretending to be police and ATO prompts fresh warningWARNING: Scammers are posing as police and asking people to hand over their personal information. 9News
Read more »
Former US police officer indicted over shooting death of Breonna TaylorA grand jury indicts former officer on criminal charges, six months after Breonna Taylor was fatally shot by police in her Kentucky apartment.
Read more »
Eiffel Tower evacuated after police receive bomb tip-off in anonymous callThe Eiffel Tower has been evacuated after police received an anonymous tip-off of a bomb at the world-famous Paris monument. 9News
Read more »
Riot squad, mounted police chase protesting Sydney University studentsUniversity of Sydney staff say they're concerned that a heavy-handed police response to student protests is stifling free speech on campus, as dozens of officers pursued student activists for breaching public health orders during demonstrations | ...
Read more »
Two police officers have been shot amid Louisville protests over Breonna Taylor rulingTwo Louisville officers have been shot during protests, police said, after demonstrations erupted in the US city when charges were filed against only one policeman involved in the fatal shooting of black woman Breonna Taylor.
Read more »