'Really disgusting': Jetstar cancellation strands 100, ruins family's first holiday in five years

Australia News News

'Really disgusting': Jetstar cancellation strands 100, ruins family's first holiday in five years
Australia Latest News,Australia Headlines
  • 📰 abcnews
  • ⏱ Reading Time:
  • 55 sec. here
  • 2 min. at publisher
  • 📊 Quality Score:
  • News: 25%
  • Publisher: 83%

Scores of travellers were left in the lurch earlier this week after Jetstar ushered them off their flight home, put them on a ferry and left them to fend for themselves in a packed-out Queensland tourist town.

More than 100 passengers, including young families, were left with no where to sleep after being ferried off Hamilton Island following a flight cancellation on Monday night.Airlie Beach residents rallied to provide food and places to sleep for the stranded travellersDenva Suttie's family's Whitsundays holiday ended in anything but a relaxed fashion."We hadn't been on a holiday for a long, long time — before our kids were born.

Passengers were put on a ferry to Airlie Beach because there was no accommodation available on Hamilton Island.Despite being told that accommodation for passengers "would be sorted out at Airlie Beach," Mr Suttie said that was not what happened once they arrived at the Port of Airlie terminal after dark.

Stranded passengers were left without anywhere to stay in Airlie Beach, which was at capacity because of the school holidays.In a heartwarming display of generosity, many locals opened their homes for the night after hearing the travellers were stranded. Operations manager Edward Deakes said the community's spirit helped to replace a lot of anger with relief.

"They basically just put 150 people on a boat and sent them to the mainland and good luck with that," he said."The whole town did rally and they turned a very ordinary experience into a really positive community-based one."Mr Suttie said he had been left to feel like just a number by the airline and Hamilton Island airport."It's really disgusting.

We have summarized this news so that you can read it quickly. If you are interested in the news, you can read the full text here. Read more:

abcnews /  🏆 5. in AU

Australia Latest News, Australia Headlines

Similar News:You can also read news stories similar to this one that we have collected from other news sources.

So the arguments over Brexit are done and dusted for a generation. Really, Tony Blair? | Will HuttonSo the arguments over Brexit are done and dusted for a generation. Really, Tony Blair? | Will HuttonWe desperately need to rejoin the single market and customs union, whatever the former PM thinks
Read more »

So the arguments over Brexit are done and dusted for a generation. Really, Tony Blair? | Will HuttonSo the arguments over Brexit are done and dusted for a generation. Really, Tony Blair? | Will HuttonWe desperately need to rejoin the single market and customs union, whatever the former PM thinks
Read more »

Jetstar under fire after 130 passengers were 'abandoned' in QldJetstar under fire after 130 passengers were 'abandoned' in QldAirlie Beach locals have helped more than 100 travellers who were left stranded after Jetstar cancelled a flight at the last minute.
Read more »

Five year plan: How McLean earned belated Origin debutJordan McLean has been on NSW coach Brad Fittler's radar for more than five years after he being asked to assess the 30-year-old prop by former Blues mentor Laurie Daley.
Read more »

NSW confirms second case of potentially deadly infectionNSW confirms second case of potentially deadly infectionNew South Wales has recorded a second case of diphtheria after the state's first infection since the early 1990s was confirmed on Saturday.
Read more »

Young boy left alone at school holiday program in MelbourneAn investigation is underway after a seven-year-old boy was left unsupervised at school holiday care for two hours in Melbourne.
Read more »



Render Time: 2025-04-06 15:25:20