The QC selected to question Star Entertainment on behalf of Queenslanders previously recommended the casino giant keep its Sydney licence.
The barrister picked to interrogate Star Entertainment about its suitability to hold a Queensland casino licence found the organisation to be “of good repute” and resistant to criminal influences in a previous review.
Horton has been appointed counsel assisting, a prosecutorial-style role, in the Queensland inquiry into the same organisation. It begins on Tuesday before former justice Robert Gotterson. The Bell inquiry and impending Gotterson inquiry in Brisbane were prompted by revelations from Nine newspaper mastheads andcultivated high-roller gamblers with alleged criminal or foreign-influence associations between 2014 and 2021There is no suggestion that Horton, a respected figure in the legal profession and who has acted as counsel assisting on many occasions, did not conduct the 2016 NSW review in a thorough or diligent manner.
“Mr Horton has declared no conflict of interest in relation to his previous review role and it is understood he has discussed that role with Mr Gotterson as part of the establishment of the Queensland review.
Australia Latest News, Australia Headlines
Similar News:You can also read news stories similar to this one that we have collected from other news sources.
Star Casino faces a government inquiryThe Star Entertainment Group will face a Queensland Government inquiry on Tuesday that will examine whether it is fit to hold licences for gaming operations on the Gold Coast and in its $3.6 billion Queens Wharf development. They are still awaiting the final report from a New South Wales inquiry to determine whether they are fit to hold a licence in their Sydney casino. Many key members of the Star Entertainment Group, including the Chairman and the Chief Executive have resigned in the wake of the investigation.
Read more »
The Star sinks to $198.6m lossThe Star Entertainment has slid to a $198.6 million loss for the financial year due to east coast lockdowns and costs linked to scrutiny of the scandal-plagued casino group
Read more »
The Star reports nearly $200m lossCasino operator The Star Entertainment Group has sunk to a loss of nearly $200 million in the last financial year, ahead of a public inquiry into The Star’s Queensland operation which kicks off tomorrow. “They just went through a very damaging inquiry for the Sydney casino business which resulted in the loss of the chief executive of The Star and a number of senior executives of that company,” says Sky News Business Reporter Edward Boyd. “The board is now being refreshed, there’s a new boss starting later this year.” He said The Star’s revenue is down slightly to $1.5 billion with a net loss of $198.6 million. “It’s probably not going to get any better for The Star over the next couple of months while this inquiry continues but the new Chief Executive Robbie Cook, he starts in a few months so hopefully he can come in and righten up the ship.”
Read more »
The vile Zorko insult which left Dees star in tearsDayne Zorko’s sledge towards Harrison Petty has been revealed, after he faced an onslaught of criticism over the weekend for reducing the Dees star to tears mid-match.
Read more »
The Star underpaid the NSW government almost $9m in casino taxesThe Star has underpaid the NSW government almost $9 million in taxes, as the gaming giant braces for the release of a report into its suitability to hold a casino licence.
Read more »
The Star falls to $199m loss as inquiry, operating restrictions biteThe COVID-19 pandemic, the tight labour market, inflation, and operating restrictions continue to stifle growth at the gaming giant | ameliamcguiree
Read more »