The three-person crew of a tugboat saved NSW from disaster on Monday after stricken cargo ship Portland Bay, carrying hundreds of tonnes of fuel oil, lost its engine in a storm | bencubby
The three-person crew of a tugboat saved the state from disaster on Monday after a stricken cargo ship carrying hundreds of tonnes of fuel oil lost its engine in a storm and drifted powerlessly towards the cliffs of the Royal National Park.
Then the Diamantina arrived. The tiny tugboat grappled to keep the stricken Portland Bay off the rocks for four hours, regularly relinking with the bigger ship when secure lines were torn off by the huge swells until reinforcements arrived in the form of two other tugboats. Two other tugs, the Bullara and the Martinique, arrived to help further secure the ship and allow it to withdraw its anchors at around 3.30pm. The tugs then towed the still-powerless cargo ship further out to sea so the crew could attempt engine repairs.“Everything looks positive for the operation at this point,” Finch said. “It has been a successful operation so far, thanks to the team and the tug crews ... Safety is paramount here, protecting the tug crews and the crew on the vessel.
It’s unclear why the engine failed, but Dr Reza Emad, a marine safety expert at the University of Tasmania, said such an event was very uncommon. Bureau of Meteorology data and the ship’s own global positioning system paint a picture of fierce weather, with huge swells, driving rain and winds reaching 42 knots just as the engine cut out. The ship’s tracker then showed the vessel’s course as it veered sharply towards the rocky coast between 7am and 10am.
Australia Latest News, Australia Headlines
Similar News:You can also read news stories similar to this one that we have collected from other news sources.
NSW floods: ‘Very difficult day ahead’: NSW flood threat not overGrattan Institute says government should phase out policies that encourage greater oil, gas extraction; Liberal senator presses TikTok on data security. Follow updates here.
Read more »
NSW floods: NSW government expected to make disaster declarationNearly 70 evacuation orders issued; another 64 warnings; 30,000 people affected; NSW disaster declaration expected to unlock federal aid. Follow updates here.
Read more »
First case of diphtheria detected in NSW this centuryA case of diphtheria of the throat, a contagious and potentially deadly disease, has been confirmed in a two-year-old in northern NSW.
Read more »
Multiple evacuation orders in place as heavy rainfall lashes NSWAs fresh evacuation orders are issued for parts of Sydney, people across New South Wales are being told to brace for more downpours and flooding today.
Read more »