'Tying up resources': Calls to scrap Queensland COVID-19 tests

Australia News News

'Tying up resources': Calls to scrap Queensland COVID-19 tests
Australia Latest News,Australia Headlines
  • 📰 abcnews
  • ⏱ Reading Time:
  • 64 sec. here
  • 3 min. at publisher
  • 📊 Quality Score:
  • News: 29%
  • Publisher: 83%

A NSW government MP wants PCR tests for travel into Queensland abolished after waiting times soared at testing clinics on the first day of eased border restrictions.

A Mid North Coast MP has called for COVID-19 PCR testing for travel into Queensland to be abolished after waiting times to get a test soared.Coffs Harbour MP says Queensland should let people without symptoms in without a COVID testHealth authorities say there should be no change to the time for test results

Coffs Harbour MP Gurmesh Singh says the testing is an unnecessary requirement by the Queensland government."This whole 72-hour-test-before, it just doesn't make a whole lot of sense and it would have been more sensible for Queensland just to allow people to come on up and get a test if they have any symptoms."

Testing clinics across the Mid North Coast have been inundated by cars full of families making their way north on the first day after Queensland's border reopened to New South Wales.Officials at the Coffs Harbour Stadium drive-through clinic warned of wait times of up to three hours, as they worked to administer more than double the amount of tests as this time last week.

Among those waiting in line for more than three hours today were Krishna Ellis from Sawtell and her two adult children."We saw number plates from Queensland, Victoria, the ACT, and even the Northern Territory. There were entire families in cars full of luggage and 4WDs with boats on the top," she said.

More than 4,700 tests were conducted across the Mid North Coast local health district last week with 1,571 of those on the Saturday and Sunday before the border reopened — a big jump on the previous weekend's 775 tests.

We have summarized this news so that you can read it quickly. If you are interested in the news, you can read the full text here. Read more:

abcnews /  🏆 5. in AU

Australia Latest News, Australia Headlines

Similar News:You can also read news stories similar to this one that we have collected from other news sources.

Health authorities confirm Omicron COVID variant is in SAHealth authorities confirm Omicron COVID variant is in SATest results confirm two cases of COVID-19 recorded in South Australia are the Omicron variant.
Read more »

COVID boosters fast-tracked to five-month gap, making millions more eligible for third shotCOVID boosters fast-tracked to five-month gap, making millions more eligible for third shotThe wait for COVID-19 vaccine booster shots will be fast-tracked from six months to five, making millions of Australians eligible for their third shot immediately vaccine covid19 omicron
Read more »

COVID boosters fast-tracked to five-month gap, making millions more eligible for third shotCOVID boosters fast-tracked to five-month gap, making millions more eligible for third shotAustralia’s COVID-19 booster shot program will be accelerated, with people now eligible for a third shot of a COVID-19 vaccine after five months.
Read more »

Seven Omicron infections under investigation as Victoria records 1290 COVID cases, two deathsSeven Omicron infections under investigation as Victoria records 1290 COVID cases, two deathsVictorian health authorities are still investigating seven suspected cases of the new Omicron strain of COVID19 as the state recorded 1290 coronavirus cases and two deaths. | MartaPascual3 covid19vic covid19vicdata
Read more »

Warning for nightclub as infections spikeWarning for nightclub as infections spikeInfections from a NSW nightclub have spiked with a further 60 revellers testing positive to Covid-19 after the venue was exposed to “high transmission” of the virus, causing a superspreading event.
Read more »

Newcastle nightclub on Omicron alert after 24 test positive to COVID-19Newcastle nightclub on Omicron alert after 24 test positive to COVID-19NSW Health has issued an urgent alert after 24 people linked to a Newcastle nightclub tested positive for COVID-19, with a number of cases 'likely' to be the Omicron variant.
Read more »



Render Time: 2025-04-06 06:12:43