COVID-19 has now killed more than half a million people around the world and infected more than 12.3 million.
The health agency's comments came as US President Donald Trump was forced to cancel an election rally in New Hampshire, citing an approaching storm.
The United States, the country worst hit by the illness, reported almost 64,000 new cases Friday and the death toll now stands at just under 134,000, according to Johns Hopkins University. Restaurants, gyms, swimming pools and non-food markets have all shut their doors until at least 1 August. But new clusters have started to emerge since Tuesday, including at an elderly care home that reported at least 32 cases and a housing estate with 11."Across all walks of life, we are all being tested to the limit," Mr Tedros told a virtual news conference in Geneva.
Australia Latest News, Australia Headlines
Similar News:You can also read news stories similar to this one that we have collected from other news sources.
Remdesivir COVID-19 drug approved for use in Australia | Sky News AustraliaCoronavirus trial drug Remdesivir has been approved for use in Australia as Victoria registers 216 new cases overnight.\n\nDeputy Chief Medical Officer Dr Nick Coatsworth welcomed the news for those suffering from 'moderate to severe coronavirus disease' but said it was Australia's skilled doctors and nurses that was the best news.\n\n'We have amongst the world's leading intensivists; the world's leading critical care nurses. We have worked to bolster their capacity through extra ventilators, through extra beds and through upskilling registered nurses,' he said.\n\n'Given there are only 16 patients who are in ICU Australia-wide, we are well within that capacity.\n\n'We're satisfied the current stockpile in Australia will be enough for the coming weeks based on the numbers in Victoria at the moment.' \n\nImage: News Corp Australia\n\n
Read more »
New COVID-19 treatment remdesivir is 'no silver bullet', warns DCMOThe antiviral drug remdesivir has received provisional approval from the Therapeutic Goods Administration but Deputy Chief Medical Officer Dr Nick Coatsworth says there is no evidence it prevents coronavirus death or infection.
Read more »
Man who tested positive for COVID-19 after visiting Sydney pub linked to three new casesHealth officials warn NSW is at a critical point in the fight to contain coronavirus after three new cases developed in connection to a man who visited a busy south-west Sydney pub last week.
Read more »
Four staff test positive to COVID-19 in aged care home outbreakGlendale Aged Care's director of operations says the situation in Victoria is 'frightening' as the new cases come just days after a 90-year-old resident was diagnosed with the deadly virus.
Read more »
Victoria records another 216 coronavirus cases as man in his 90s dies with COVID-19A man in his 90s dies with COVID-19 in a Victorian hospital as the state records another 216 cases of coronavirus.
Read more »
New drug to help Australian patients fight off COVID-19 comes with 'caveats'Deputy Chief Health Officer Dr Nick Coatsworth says the drug is a direct-acting antiviral. What does that mean? It means that it stops the virus from multiplying further in the body.
Read more »