Electric vehicle charging cables and plugs could be embedded in nature strips and footpaths in Melbourne’s inner north and west if two councils agree to implement trials for stand-alone homes that do not have off-street parking.
The kerb model would only be for residents who live in detached homes and those who had paid for a charger would not have ownership of the car spot next to the charger, as it remained on public land.
If the Yarra council agrees to a motion on Tuesday night, a report with various options would be created by council staff and presented at a later date for a decision.A similar motion will also be considered at a Hobsons Bay City Council meeting next Tuesday. “When we look at our municipality, we only have three public electric vehicle chargers in an area with 100,000 homes and one has been down [out of order] for a number of months,” she said.
Melbourne company Kerb Charge is partnering with Port Phillip Council for its trial, which was greenlit in September last year. The first charger will be installed this month.
Australia Latest News, Australia Headlines
Similar News:You can also read news stories similar to this one that we have collected from other news sources.
Man, 22, charged with murder of nine-year-old girl in LincolnshireDeividas Skebas to appear in court on Monday over stabbing of nine-year-old Lilia Valutyte in Boston
Read more »
Redland Mayor pleads guilty to drink driving charges, sentenced to community serviceRedland Mayor Karen Williams is sentenced to 80 hours of community service after pleading guilty to drink driving. She is disqualified from driving for six months.
Read more »
Disturbing details after mum charged over eight-year-old son's alleged murderPolice found the child during a welfare check at a central Queensland address and confirmed his mother has been charged with his murder. Court documents obtained by the ABC claim he spent the first seven years of his life not in her care.
Read more »
'He owns his mistakes': Cleary backs son to return for finals chargeIvan Cleary says the club contemplated contesting the grading of Nathan Cleary’s dangerous throw charge but didn’t want to risk the star halfback potentially missing the opening week of the finals.
Read more »
‘Assassin with loaded AK47’ faces federal charges for surveilling home of Iranian-American journalistFBI intervenes for a second time since last summer in case involving Brooklyn-based writer and activist Masih Alinejad
Read more »
More than 80 charged with gang rape after attack on South African video shootThere are calls for South Africa to deploy its military to crack down on gangs after the alleged rape of eight women at an abandoned mine site.
Read more »