At least 30 people are killed, including six civilians, on a second day of clashes between Armenia and Azerbaijan over the territory of Nagorno-Karabakh. The clashes reportedly involving helicopters, artillery, missiles and tanks.
At least 30 people have been killed, including six civilians, and hundreds injured in a second day of clashes between Armenia and Azerbaijan over the territory of Nagorno-Karabakh that reportedly involved helicopters, artillery, missiles and tanks.
"We haven't seen anything like this since the ceasefire to the war in the 1990s. The fighting is taking place along all sections of the front line," said Olesya Vartanyan, senior analyst for the South Caucasus region at Crisis Group. The general prosecutor's office in Azerbaijan said two Azeri civilians were killed on Monday, after five civilians were killed on Sunday, and 30 civilians had been wounded.Nagorno-Karabakh reported 28 more of its soldiers had been killed,and over 100 wounded when Azerbaijan attacked. Nagorno-Karabakh also said it had recovered some territory that it had lost control of on Sunday.
Mr Evyazov also said Lernik Babayan, commander of the Armenian military's airborne assault battalion, had been killed near Talish. It was not immediately possible to verify the report.Space to play or pause, M to mute, left and right arrows to seek, up and down arrows for volume.Forces from Armenia and Azerbaijan clash around the separatist region of Nagorno-Karabakh, with both sides reporting fatalities.
Australia Latest News, Australia Headlines
Similar News:You can also read news stories similar to this one that we have collected from other news sources.
Deadly clashes erupt between Armenia and Azerbaijan | Sky News AustraliaNew clashes between Armenia and Azerbaijan have erupted over the breakaway region of Nagorno-Karabakh.\n\nFootage – released by the Armenian military - purports to show an attack on Azerbaijani tanks.\n\nEach side has blamed the other for the flaring up of tensions in the region and warns of a threat of a larger war.\n\nThe two former Soviet states went to war in the early 1990s over Nagorno-Karabakh, which sits in majority Muslim Azerbaijan.\n\nHowever, its ethnic Armenian population of Christians rejected rule from the capital Baku.\n\nA ceasefire was agreed to in 1994, though it was never a peace deal.\n\nSunday’s clashes could end up being the most dangerous since the war and could also impact global oil and gas supplies which flow through the region.\n
Read more »
Deadly clash erupts between Armenia and Azerbaijan in separatist regionArmenia declared martial law and mobilised its male population after clashes with Azerbaijan over the breakaway region of Nagorno-Karabakh, a mainly ethnic Armenian region inside Azerbaijan which declared independence in 1991.
Read more »
Azerbaijan accuses Armenia of using villagers as shields as fighting returns to contested regionThe latest round of deadly fighting in Nagorno-Karabakh, which has left at least 18 people dead and more than 100 wounded, reignites concerns about the stability of the region.
Read more »
Death toll rises as fighting between Armenia and Azerbaijan over disputed Nagorno-Karabakh enters second dayA second day of heavy clashes between Armenia and Azerbaijan over the territory of Nagorno-Karabakh has reportedly involved air power, missiles and heavy armour.
Read more »
Nagorno-Karabakh: The decades-old conflict between Armenia and Azerbaijan explainedArmenia and Azerbaijan, two ex-Soviet republics in the Caucasus, are locked in a decades-long territorial dispute which frequently erupts into deadly fighting.
Read more »
Armenia, Azerbaijan mobilise troops over disputed Nagorno-Karabakh regionIn the latest flashpoint in the four decade-conflict, both Armenia and Azerbaijan have mobilised military units over the disputed Nagorno-Karabakh region.
Read more »