Twenty years after Cathy Freeman carried the hopes of a nation at the Sydney Olympics, she shares her full story for the first time, and talks about the work that lies ahead.
"My ancestors were the first people to walk on this land. Those other girls were always going to come up against my ancestors. Who's going to stop me?"
"I just thought it was about time I shared as much of the whole story and as much of the experience as I could," she said.Her daughter saw a trailer the other day and was a bit confused."Look, you know, you need to understand who I am as a mother, and as a woman, as a person," Mum said.Freeman has known the film's French-Australian director Laurence Billiet for a long time.
"Stephen Page [Bangarra artistic director] was the perfect person for the job in terms of really telling a story and locking into the story and the whole intent of the story."It's absolutely reflected so perfectly. It's a wonderful aspect of the film." "We'll often walk into a schoolground ... and you often hear, 'Cathy! Cathy Freeman!' and it's really beautiful, because we're certainly welcomed into community," she said.
"But if it is about going and chasing dreams elsewhere, we want the young people to know that that's an opportunity that's there for them as well.""We find it inspirational," Ivy Yoren said."Every time when they ask us questions about who would you look up to and who's an Indigenous role model, I would say Cathy Freeman.
"The question of what's next is always right there in the centre of our lives, outside of family life," she said.
Australia Latest News, Australia Headlines
Similar News:You can also read news stories similar to this one that we have collected from other news sources.
Business owners 'are not being heard at all' by the Victorian government | Sky News AustraliaVictorian small business owner Gry Tomte says she doesn’t feel business owners are “being heard at all” by the state government. \n\nMr Andrews on Sunday announced tentative dates for the easing of restrictions, should new case numbers remain low. \n\nMelbourne metropolitan area will continue with its stage four lockdowns until at least September 28. \n\nMs Tomte, owner of HÜD Skin + Body beauty clinic in Melbourne had been forced to close her shop for the last five months already, which would likely pan out to a total of nine months considering the recent lockdown extensions.\n\n“I just feel like the mental health of business owners is definitely not being explored,” Ms Tomte told Sky News host Chris Kenny. \n\nMs Tomte said there was no way her business could be “classified as an unsafe business”.\n\n“I look at the enormous amount of training that we go through as the aesthetic industry and we re heavily regulated already, with the additional training that we’ve received throughout this whole period, there’s absolutely no reason why we wouldn’t be a safe place to open,” she said.\n\nShe said with the extensions looming, her clinic would likely be closed for a total of nine months, adding she knew many other beauty clinic owners were having to close permanently. \n\nImage: Pexels
Read more »
Berejiklian open to federal intervention on borders | Sky News AustraliaGladys Berejiklian has indicated she is open to federal intervention in the nation's ongoing border battle, as the National Cabinet remains at loggerheads over a consistent timeline for reopening.\n\nThe NSW Premier took aim at her state counterparts seeking to eliminate COVID-19 by benchmarking zero community transmission before reopening.\n\nIn an exclusive interview with Sky News Political Editor Andrew Clennell, the NSW Premier chastised other states for not considering the impact border closures would inevitably have on the livelihood of its citizens.\n\n'I've always tried to be respectful but it gets to a point where they need to look at what it's doing to their own citizens,' Ms Berejiklian said.\n\n'Citizens at this point in time might be led to believe having zero cases is fantastic - that this is great - but not in six month's time when jobs go - when businesses fold. \n\n'You're looking down the prism of economic chaos.'\n\nMs Berejiklian warned a vaccine was 'not a single bullet', urging other states not to rely on the hopes of one as a prerequisite to easing restrictions.\n\nImage: News Corp Australia\n\n
Read more »
Call for regional bubbles for zero case communitiesBusiness owner Kim Rycroft says businesses in her shire should be allowed to serve people who come from other communities with zero cases.
Read more »
Appeal for information after drone carrying drugs, SIM card found near Long BayA member of the public found the drone on a quiet suburban street in Sydney's east, about 300 metres from the Sydney prison.
Read more »
'This is nonsense': Julian Assange interjections earn stern warningJudge Vanessa Baraister told Assange that she did not want to hear his case in his absence but that she would be left with no choice if he continued to shout.
Read more »
'It became very toxic, very quickly': Ruby says the pandemic has worsened her anorexia, and she's not aloneCalls for support for eating disorders have tripled in Tasmania since the coronavirus pandemic hit, with one sufferer saying she relapsed to such an extent she was admitted to hospital.
Read more »