Japanese journalist who accused high-profile TV anchor of rape wins civil case

Australia News News

Japanese journalist who accused high-profile TV anchor of rape wins civil case
Australia Latest News,Australia Headlines
  • 📰 SBSNews
  • ⏱ Reading Time:
  • 26 sec. here
  • 2 min. at publisher
  • 📊 Quality Score:
  • News: 14%
  • Publisher: 89%

A Tokyo court Wednesday awarded 3.3 million yen ($AUS40,000) in damages to journalist Shiori Ito, who accused a former TV reporter of rape in one of the most high-profile cases of the MeToo movement in Japan

A Tokyo court Wednesday awarded 3.3 million yen in damages to journalist Shiori Ito, who accused a former TV reporter of rape in one of the most high-profile cases of theThe civil case made headlines in Japan and abroad, as it is rare for rape victims to report the crime to the police - according to a 2017 government survey, only four per cent of women come forward.

Shiori Ito’s civil case made headlines in Japan and abroad, as it is rare for rape victims to report the crime to the police in Japan.Yamaguchi denies any wrongdoing and had filed a counter-suit against Ito, seeking 130 million yen in compensation. Ito said that a major problem in Japanese media is the high proportion of men in decision-making positions but she added that the situation has begun to change with overseas harassment stories appearing in Japan and her story being told overseas.

We have summarized this news so that you can read it quickly. If you are interested in the news, you can read the full text here. Read more:

SBSNews /  🏆 3. in AU

Australia Latest News, Australia Headlines

Similar News:You can also read news stories similar to this one that we have collected from other news sources.

'It'll be dangerous': TV boss promises another nail-biting Eurovision decider'It'll be dangerous': TV boss promises another nail-biting Eurovision decider'It'll be dangerous': TV boss promises another nail-biting Eurovision decider as SBS unveils its final lineup of 10 artists vying to represent Australia
Read more »

William and Kate’s awkward TV momentWilliam and Kate’s awkward TV momentKate Middleton appeared to shrug off her husband Prince William’s hand during a Christmas TV special in the UK.
Read more »

Star draws NSFW image on live TVStar draws NSFW image on live TVThe Monday Night Football TV crew produced more highlights than the New Orleans Saints’ thumping of the Indianapolis Colts on Tuesday (AEDT).
Read more »

Home | Sky News AustraliaHome | Sky News AustraliaBREAKING: APRA has launched a second investigation into Westpac. It will examine whether Westpac, its directors and/or senior managers were behind breaches of the banking act that were revealed last month. MORE TO COME:
Read more »

Chatime bubble tea chain allegedly underpaid staffIt's alleged that 152 employees - including 95 visa holders - were underpaid a total of $169,320 in 2016. 9News
Read more »



Render Time: 2025-04-05 06:42:34