Man eats $120,000 piece of art - a banana taped to wall

Australia News News

Man eats $120,000 piece of art - a banana taped to wall
Australia Latest News,Australia Headlines
  • 📰 SBSNews
  • ⏱ Reading Time:
  • 62 sec. here
  • 3 min. at publisher
  • 📊 Quality Score:
  • News: 28%
  • Publisher: 89%

A performance artist shook up the crowd at the Art Basel show in Miami Beach on Saturday when he grabbed a banana that had been duct-taped to a gallery wall and ate it.

In a video posted on his Instagram account, David Datuna, who describes himself as a Georgian-born American artist living in New York, walks up to the banana and pulls it off the wall with the duct tape attached.

"Art performance ... hungry artist," he said, as he peeled the fruit and took a bite."Thank you, very good." A few bystanders could be heard giggling before a flustered gallery official whisked him to an adjoining space for questioning.Emmanuel Perrotin, founder of the Perrotin Gallery poses with Italian artist Maurizio Cattelan piece's 'Comedian' ."He did not destroy the art work. The banana is the idea," Lucien Terras, director of museum relations for Galerie Perrotin, told the Miami Herald.

As it turns out, the value of the work is in the certificate of authenticity, the newspaper reported. The banana is meant to be replaced."This has brought a lot of tension and attention to the booth and we're not into spectacles," Mr Terras said."But the response has been great. It brings a smile to a lot of people's faces.""He was not arrested, but we asked him to leave the booth and to leave the fair," she said.

The toilet, valued at around $5 to $6 million, was in the news again in September when it was stolen from Britain's Blenheim Palace, the birthplace of wartime leader Winston Churchill, where it had been on display.

We have summarized this news so that you can read it quickly. If you are interested in the news, you can read the full text here. Read more:

SBSNews /  🏆 3. in AU

Australia Latest News, Australia Headlines

Similar News:You can also read news stories similar to this one that we have collected from other news sources.

Man shot by police in Queensland was 'firing on cars and people'Queensland police officers have fatally shot a man they confronted over reports he was shooting at vehicles and people with a rifle. 9News
Read more »

Man who paid councillor Sam Aziz $80,000 for defamation wants his money backMan who paid councillor Sam Aziz $80,000 for defamation wants his money backCasey councillor Sam Aziz received a significant damages payment to settle a defamation case against a local resident just months before Victoria's corruption watchdog accused him of pocketing $900,000 from a property developer.
Read more »

Why the 'Workington man' could decide the UK electionWhy the 'Workington man' could decide the UK electionHe's white, he loves rugby league, and he's voted Labour all his life, but wealthy Oxford-educated Boris Johnson can't win the election without winning over the 'Workington Man'.
Read more »

Man charged for starting fire in NSWMan charged for starting fire in NSWA 32-year-old man is to face court charged with intentionally causing a fire and other offences in the Lake Macquarie area of NSW's Hunter region.
Read more »

Man charged with deliberately lighting NSW fire, stealing uteMan charged with deliberately lighting NSW fire, stealing uteA man who allegedly set a stolen ute ablaze, causing a grassfire in the NSW Hunter region, has been charged by police.
Read more »

US man released in Iranian prisoner swap | Sky News AustraliaUS man released in Iranian prisoner swap | Sky News AustraliaA Chinese-American man has been released in a prisoner swap, after spending three years in an Iranian jail on spying charges.\n\nXiyue Wang was undertaking a research project in Iran three years ago, when he was taken into custody and sentenced to 10 years behind bars. \n\nMr Wang's release was secured by Washington's decision to release an Iranian being held in the United States. \n\nThe stem cell expert was detained at a Chicago airport last year, accused of trying to export biological material to Iran.\n\nImage: AP
Read more »



Render Time: 2025-04-04 05:30:29