Acting Chief Medical Officer Paul Kelly says private security guards hired to carry out NSW’s hotel quarantine system will be carefully examined in the wake of Victoria’s hotel breaches.
“They need to find the appropriate people to train them properly to really reinforce the issue around infection control and so forth to make sure this is done safely and also effectively,” Mr Kelly said. More than 32,000 people were processed through the state’s hotel quarantine system since the public health order was enacted in March, with the federal government now limiting arrivals in Sydney to 450 per day to allow reduce hotels’ heavy influx of occupants.
NSW Police confirmed on Friday there were no breaches in the state’s hotel quarantine and 500 police officers were deployed per 24-hour period in 22 hotels with the assistance of ADF personnel and private security contractors. Meanwhile, AMA President Tony Bartone warned states against further easing restrictions until Victoria gained control of its coronavirus outbreaks. The last case of community transmission recorded in NSW was recorded 11 days ago.
Australia Latest News, Australia Headlines
Similar News:You can also read news stories similar to this one that we have collected from other news sources.
'Strong chance' Berejiklian will shut NSW-Vic border | Sky News AustraliaIf Victoria’s COVID-19 infections continue to increase, there is a 'strong chance' that New South Wales Premier Gladys Berejiklian will look to shut the border between the states, according to Sky News Political Editor Andrew Clennell.\n\n“Her ministers in cabinet tomorrow I’m told may well push for this, it all depends on the numbers,” Mr Clennell said.\n\n“Gladys Berejiklian probably doesn’t want to look like a hypocrite given she had a go at Annastacia Palaszczuk for keeping her borders shut.\n\n“But that was an entirely different scenario to 100 new cases a day in a state.” \n
Read more »
'The risk remains': Sydney hotel guards under microscope as NSW records 14 new casesThe use of private security guards in Sydney's quarantine hotels is now under the microscope, with failures in monitoring guest movements being blamed for the surge of cases in Victoria
Read more »
Live: NSW Now: Former government staffer charged, and counting continues in tight Eden-Monaro raceMORNING BRIEFING: A man who allegedly tried to defraud his former NSW Government employer is charged with using fake university invoices to claim thousands of dollars, and counting continues in the NSW electorate of Eden-Monaro.
Read more »
Green groups call on Bunnings to extend Victorian timber ban to NSWEnvironmental groups have called on Bunnings to extend to NSW its recent halt to sourcing native timber from Victoria's state forests, fearing supply will simply shift to the state's fire-hit forests | p_hannam
Read more »
Complaints against police exceed targets in two out of three NSW districtsTwo-thirds of police area commands in NSW had an excessive number of complaints made against officers last year, with one western Sydney area receiving nearly one complaint for every three officers.
Read more »
Ruby Princess crew cases added to national tally as NSW records six new casesAlmost 200 COVID-19 cases have been added to the national total after historic cases reported in crew members from the Ruby Princess were reclassified as Australian | rachelclun
Read more »