Police set to charge a dozen with arson

Australia News News

Police set to charge a dozen with arson
Australia Latest News,Australia Headlines
  • 📰 australian
  • ⏱ Reading Time:
  • 43 sec. here
  • 2 min. at publisher
  • 📊 Quality Score:
  • News: 21%
  • Publisher: 53%

EXCLUSIVE: Investigators are close to charging more than a dozen suspected arsonists believed to have deliberately lit bushfires, with the crisis already claiming six lives and 700 homes this season

NSW’s bushfire crisis has already claimed six lives and more than 700 homes this season, and Mr Shepherd warned that arsonists could easily find themselves facing up to 25 years imprisonment for manslaughter.

The warning came as NSW Premier Gladys Berejiklian announced that “huge” firefronts ravaging her state are uncontrollable. Authorities in NSW were pleading with residents to monitor conditions ahead of peak danger days on Thursday and Saturday, when daytime temperatures are expected to exceed 40 degrees in eastern NSW and ACT, and 45 degrees in western NSW.“At this stage we want to make sure everybody’s alert,” she said.

Rural Fire Service Deputy Commissioner Rob Rogers said heatwave conditions interacting with the ongoing firefront would create an “awful situation” later in the week. “One of the things that we found over this fire season is people are waiting until the last minute and then they’re suddenly ringing triple zero and saying ‘I need help’. Sometimes we can’t get firefighters to people in those circumstances.” he said.

We have summarized this news so that you can read it quickly. If you are interested in the news, you can read the full text here. Read more:

australian /  🏆 20. in AU

Australia Latest News, Australia Headlines

Similar News:You can also read news stories similar to this one that we have collected from other news sources.

Total fire ban for NSW as 'extreme heat' heads our wayTotal fire ban for NSW as 'extreme heat' heads our wayA total fire ban will be in place across all of New South Wales until Sunday as experts warn people to stay indoors to avoid extreme heat conditions.
Read more »

Family home ‘burnt down to a crumble’ in NSW fire | Sky News AustraliaFamily home ‘burnt down to a crumble’ in NSW fire | Sky News AustraliaHomeowner Sam Ramaci says he was reduced to tears when he saw the damage caused to his property by a fire that tore through Berambing in New South Wales. \n\nMr Ramaci told Sky News his cool room - where he stored the apple pies he sells for a living - was “burnt down to a crumble” following the fire on Sunday. \n\n“This fire came out of nowhere,” he told Sky News on Monday.\n\n“I would have thought with all the technology we’ve got we would have had a bit more warning. \n\n“Next minute, it was on our doorstop and that was it, we just had to do whatever we could do.”\n\nImage: News Corp Australia
Read more »

NSW bushfire crisis: 20 properties destroyed in fire started by backburning, RFS confirmsNSW bushfire crisis: 20 properties destroyed in fire started by backburning, RFS confirmsFirefighting crews in the Blue Mountains area had been attempting to protect communities around the Bells Line of Road NSWFires bushfires
Read more »

Bushfires continue to ravage parts of NSW and WA | Sky News AustraliaBushfires continue to ravage parts of NSW and WA | Sky News AustraliaThere are fears homes have been lost as the fire burning at Mount Gospers in New South Wales broke its containment lines overnight.\n\nDamage assessment teams will head to the Mount Tomah area - in the Blue Mountains, west of Sydney on Monday - to assess the damage. \n\nAn emergency warning was issued on Sunday when the fire crossed Bells Line of Road at Mount Tomah. \n\nResidents overnight were warned it's too late to leave, and one firefighter was treated for smoke inhalation. \n\nMeanwhile, an emergency bushfire raging north of Perth has destroyed one home, as well as a service station.\n\nUp to 400 firefighters spent Sunday battling the blaze in an effort to protect lives and homes in the City of Wanneroo and the Shire of Gingin.\n\nAuthorities warned residents to enact their bushfire survival plan immediately.\n\nImage: Getty
Read more »

NSW backs down on Basin Plan threat as Victoria refuses to open its booksNSW backs down on Basin Plan threat as Victoria refuses to open its booksNSW backed down from its threat to withdraw from the Murray Darling Basin Plan, while Victoria has refused to participate in a review of water-sharing rules.
Read more »

Dozens of NSW homes feared lost in bushfires overnight | Sky News AustraliaDozens of NSW homes feared lost in bushfires overnight | Sky News AustraliaAuthorities fear dozens of homes have been lost in fire burning at Mount Gospers in New South Wales after it broke its containment lines overnight.\n\nDamage assessment teams will be sent to the Mount Tomah area in the Blue Mountains on Monday once the area is declared safe. \n\nMeanwhile, Sydney residents again woke to a smoke haze blanketing the city on Monday - prompting authorities to issue another air quality warning. \n\nAir quality in parts of Sydney reached double the hazardous level on Monday, with Oakdale in Sydney's southwest one of the worst affected areas. \n \nTotal fire bans remain in place for five regions in NSW this week, with a very high fire danger issued for the majority of the state.\n\nImage: News Corp Australia
Read more »



Render Time: 2025-04-04 17:47:45