The Claremont serial killings is a case involving the disappearance of 18-year-old secretary Sarah Spiers, and the killings of two others, childcare worker Jane Rimmer 23, and Ciara Glennon, 27, a lawyer, in 1996-1997.
A terrifying, sexually violent attacker or a family man, deeply emotional with pent-up anger? A computer nerd with the steadiest of jobs, working for one organisation for 29 years, or the face of an eerie phantom circling women on Perth’s streets?
Sitting in the dock of the WA Supreme Court hearings, Edwards pleaded not guilty to three murder charges. His work colleague and friend, Murray Cook, testified he had invited Mr Edwards to visit him and his wife at their A-framed holiday house, 80km south of Perth.Edwards had been supportive and his workmate invited him to dine with the couple.
The two Telstra workers had gone to work at Dumas House, a building next to Perth’s Parliament House where government ministers had offices.Less than six hours earlier, shortly after 2am, Ms Spiers was last seen in Claremont after she phoned for a taxi.Childcare worker Jane Rimmer was just 23 when she was murdered.They included Emma McCormack, who had met Ms Spiers when they were boarders at Perth’s Iona Presentation College.
The girls chatted with others and around 1.30am, Sarah came up to Ms McCormack on the dance floor and told her she was going home. On the trial’s seventh day, the woman used her hands to show how Edwards had grabbed her from behind. Edwards then attacked her from behind, putting his hand around her face and stuffing a piece of cloth into her mouth.
Pulled towards the toilet on her chair in an ordeal that lasted 10 seconds, the woman felt the fight for her life suddenly stop. Bradley Edwards, above as a young man, was convicted of assaulting a woman in a terrifying attack in 1990. Picture: WA Supreme Court.In 1990 Bradley Edwards attacked a woman at Perth’s Hollywood Hospital and stuffed cloth into her mouth. Picture: Google.Five women took the stand to describe eerie encounters with a man in a Telstra car, easily mistaken as a taxi.
She was 22 years old in late 1996 and she was drinking at the Ocean Beach Hotel in Cottesloe with her friend Trilby Winsome Smith. They drove to the Claremont intersection of Stirling Highway and Bay View Terrace, which is very near from the locations where Ms Rimmer, Ms Spiers and Ms Glennon were last seen.
Under questioning by the state prosecutor, Ms Barbagallo, she described the driver as “middle-aged, 30 to 40” and “didn’t seem to be big or small, he just seemed to be a normal build.” He told the court that on Sunday mornings while Edwards was asleep up the hall, the first Mrs Edwards would “sneak into my room while Bradley was sleeping” for sex.
The 54-year-old woman said Edwards played it down as “just an assault”, describing “a brain snap” when he discovered his first wife’s infidelity.
Australia Latest News, Australia Headlines
Similar News:You can also read news stories similar to this one that we have collected from other news sources.
Face to face with an accused serial killer — victim tells of terrifying Bradley Edwards encounterA woman attacked by Bradley Edwards as she slept in her bed eight years before his alleged murder spree began recounts the encountered the accused serial killer.
Read more »
Indian woman set on fire en-route to testify against her alleged rapistsA woman in India has been set on fire as she made her way to court to testify against her alleged rapists.
Read more »
Why you should welcome this predatory beetle into your gardenThis beetle is a natural born killer, but don't worry, it's only after your aphids.
Read more »
Leaked Labour antisemitism dossier reveals shocking claims of abuse | Sky News AustraliaJeremy Corbyn has made Labour a 'welcoming refuge' for antisemitism and the party is 'no longer a safe space for Jewish people', a dossier submitted to the human rights watchdog alleges. \n\nThe Jewish Labour Movement (JLM) document revealed sworn statements from 70 present and former Labour staffers which will be given to the Equalities and Human Rights Commission (EHRC) inquiry into antisemitism in the party.\n\nCompiled over 13 months up to November, the 53-page dossier alleged the Labour Party was 'no longer a safe space for Jewish people' because it was home to a 'relentless flow' of antisemitic incidents.\n\n\nImage: AP
Read more »
Without a body, how can Bradley Edwards be charged with Sarah Spiers's murder?Without a body to examine, the murder of Sarah Spiers will be the hardest charge to prove in the Claremont serial killer trial.
Read more »
I caught a bus 'From St Kilda to Kings Cross' for the love of Paul KellyJump on a bus from St Kilda to Kings Cross and discover the significance of the song that sparked Paul Kelly's career.
Read more »