UPDATE: 'No significant rain until May': Australia is already struggling through one its worst droughts on record but the rain that could break that drought is at least five months away, Bureau of Meteorology warns. 📷: Getty
Sydney residents need to brace themselves for “unprecedented losses” as the bushfires on the city’s doorstep breach its suburbs later this summer, an ex- fire chief warns.
“The worst is to come because it’s going to get hotter and drier and there’s no significant rain in the outlooks,” Mr Mullins told AAP. Six lives have been lost in NSW so far this bushfire season while more than 680 homes have been destroyed.Mr Mullins said that was three times the previous record number of homes lost, with destruction this year so far confined to regional areas.
Some 225 homes and other buildings were destroyed in the summer of 1993-94, when four people were killed.Mr Mullins is worried how volunteers will cope when the weather heats up even more in January and February.
Australia Latest News, Australia Headlines
Similar News:You can also read news stories similar to this one that we have collected from other news sources.
'This is not normal': Minister urges action on climate changeIn the state government's strongest comments yet on the link between climate change and bushfires, NSW Environment Minister Matt Kean says 'This is not normal and doing nothing is not a solution'
Read more »
Grill'd doubles down as food safety issues simmerGrill'd has told staff it is a 'force for good' as it responded to an investigation but hundreds of emails are pouring in from workers calling for change.
Read more »
Software glitch causes continuous Telstra call drop outs in regional areasTelstra customers are complaining about calls dropping midway and callers receiving messages saying a number is not connected when it is.
Read more »
Why were people on White Island volcano when it erupted?Less than a week ago, GeoNet, which monitors geological activity for New Zealand, said observations indicated the volcano may have been entering a period when eruptive activity was higher than normal.
Read more »
'Betrayal of trust': Australia faces backlash for 'carry over' emission creditsAustralia’s approach to reducing emissions is expected to come under scrutiny at a UN climate summit with about 100 countries pushing for the banning of so-called 'carryover credits'
Read more »
Canavan calls on Albanese to reveal stance on Adani | Sky News AustraliaResources Minister Matt Canavan has called on Opposition leader Anthony Albanese to reveal whether or not he supports the Adani coal mine. \n\nMr Albanese announced this week he supported the export of coal but Mr Canavan said “what I haven’t heard him say is three simple words; I support Adani”. \n\n“If he supports the export of coal and supports coal jobs, as he says he does, what would he have against opening up a new coal mine in the Galilee Basin?” Mr Canavan told Sky News on Monday. \n\nImage: News Corp Australia
Read more »